Happy almost-Friday, blog readers of the internet! Life is beautiful, n'est-ce pas? There is pain, true, and darkness at times, but don't we know in our hearts that this life is a beautiful and amazing gift, and the bitter only makes the sweetness richer?
We recently celebrated the mister's thirtieth (I KNOW! Che emozione!) and for this occasion, I agreed to beggar myself to take us for a little staycation at the Joule, a Dallas landmark. So I thought that I would share the adventure with you all.
I booked the "Recharge and Refresh Package" because it advertised a "spa amenity" and briefly mentioned in-room massages; since Hubby's back has been bothering him and my back (as anyone who knows me will testify) is a landmine of cracking and knots, he requested a couples' massage as part of his birthday extravaganza. Note that if you have occasion to book this package, it does not include massages - those I ultimately purchased separately; in fact, I had quite a bit of trouble finding someone who could decipher the meaning behind "spa amenity". The package does, however, include complimentary valet, complimentary cocktails from the restaurant next door, and $50 credit in "room service" - which includes other food purchased at the hotel, such as poolside snacks.
We chose the "demi Joule" room option, which is a delightfully petite room with a round (!) bed and modern furnishings. For longer stays, I definitely wouldn't recommend, but for one night it was perfect. We checked in about 2:00 pm with no issues. The aforementioned spa amenity turned out to be body oils, which I'm sure are very expensive but which we have yet to use. I guess we just aren't quite there yet...
At 3:30 pm, we headed down anunmarked well-appointed hallway to ESPA, the Joule's in-house spa. We were greeted with a delicious cup of tea and a warm towel and then led down to the locker rooms. The amenities include a sauna, steam room, "infinity shower" with spray hitting you from all angles, and a co-ed "vitality pool". There are complimentary beverages and champagne on offer, along with fuzzy robes. It seems that the women's locker room is better attended than the men's - though I received shoes and a robe in my size, along with multiple drink offers, my hubby was left on his own to wander and discover. I tested out the sauna and vitality pool - steam rooms have always struck me as slightly gross - before heading to the waiting room to sample the spa cookies (obviously) and wait for my masseuse. The massage itself was fantastic - the whole space is underground and dimly lit, which I felt added to the aura of tranquility. She listened when I told her where my tight areas were (there are many) and focused on those, all the while checking in to see if the pressure was okay. Afterwards, she made me a cup of tea and advised me to look into regular massages (all that's holding me back is my wallet, lady!). The tranquility was slightly ruined when I tried to exit - there are no signs anywhere in this hotel, and I may have accidentally opened the door on someone else's massage by mistake! Fortunately I found a passing employee to point me out. Signs, people. Some of us are directionally challenged. The spa was a big hit to my bank account, but hey, you only turn thirty once, right?
In the late afternoon we wandered over to the pool on level 10. If you're a Dallasite, you may remember this pool from their summer movie nights. It is fantastic. There are cabanas with couches for seating, there are drinks, there are snacks. The guacamole is awesome - although if you want more chips, be prepared to wait for half an hour. The pool overlooks the city with an infinity edge and it seems like a perfect place to enjoy when the weather is right.
The Joule is located in the middle of downtown, very close to everything. We walked over to Klyde Warren Park for dinner - a little ambitious, maybe, but we knew we had a ride back. Hubs saw Conan O'Brien jogging his 6' 5" self through our fair city, so our night was basically made. By the time we got back, we were ready for sleep. Too bad our fun round bed felt like a concrete block. I will say this, though - it was very large.
In the morning, we treated ourselves to room service. Please note that if you are a vegetarian, you should check whether what you're ordering has meat in it, even if the menu doesn't say it does. I had to ask for a new entree, but the hotel staff were very gracious. The french press coffee was phenomenal, and my [vegetarian] migas were tasty with fresh avocado.
In general, I thought that the staff were very friendly and accommodating in person, but not very knowledgeable by phone (see: attempts to book unknown spa treatment). The hotel is fabulous for a one-night stay, but I can't see staying for more than a week. It was very expensive, but more reasonable of other luxury hotels in the area. And by all means, if you do go - visit the pool.
The Joule can be booked at http://www.thejouledallas.com/.
We recently celebrated the mister's thirtieth (I KNOW! Che emozione!) and for this occasion, I agreed to beggar myself to take us for a little staycation at the Joule, a Dallas landmark. So I thought that I would share the adventure with you all.
I booked the "Recharge and Refresh Package" because it advertised a "spa amenity" and briefly mentioned in-room massages; since Hubby's back has been bothering him and my back (as anyone who knows me will testify) is a landmine of cracking and knots, he requested a couples' massage as part of his birthday extravaganza. Note that if you have occasion to book this package, it does not include massages - those I ultimately purchased separately; in fact, I had quite a bit of trouble finding someone who could decipher the meaning behind "spa amenity". The package does, however, include complimentary valet, complimentary cocktails from the restaurant next door, and $50 credit in "room service" - which includes other food purchased at the hotel, such as poolside snacks.
We chose the "demi Joule" room option, which is a delightfully petite room with a round (!) bed and modern furnishings. For longer stays, I definitely wouldn't recommend, but for one night it was perfect. We checked in about 2:00 pm with no issues. The aforementioned spa amenity turned out to be body oils, which I'm sure are very expensive but which we have yet to use. I guess we just aren't quite there yet...
At 3:30 pm, we headed down an
In the late afternoon we wandered over to the pool on level 10. If you're a Dallasite, you may remember this pool from their summer movie nights. It is fantastic. There are cabanas with couches for seating, there are drinks, there are snacks. The guacamole is awesome - although if you want more chips, be prepared to wait for half an hour. The pool overlooks the city with an infinity edge and it seems like a perfect place to enjoy when the weather is right.
The Joule is located in the middle of downtown, very close to everything. We walked over to Klyde Warren Park for dinner - a little ambitious, maybe, but we knew we had a ride back. Hubs saw Conan O'Brien jogging his 6' 5" self through our fair city, so our night was basically made. By the time we got back, we were ready for sleep. Too bad our fun round bed felt like a concrete block. I will say this, though - it was very large.
In the morning, we treated ourselves to room service. Please note that if you are a vegetarian, you should check whether what you're ordering has meat in it, even if the menu doesn't say it does. I had to ask for a new entree, but the hotel staff were very gracious. The french press coffee was phenomenal, and my [vegetarian] migas were tasty with fresh avocado.
In general, I thought that the staff were very friendly and accommodating in person, but not very knowledgeable by phone (see: attempts to book unknown spa treatment). The hotel is fabulous for a one-night stay, but I can't see staying for more than a week. It was very expensive, but more reasonable of other luxury hotels in the area. And by all means, if you do go - visit the pool.
The Joule can be booked at http://www.thejouledallas.com/.
No comments:
Post a Comment