Sunday, September 25, 2011

Reflections from India

Oops, I haven't updated this in a while. Blogging fail. In my defense, I was far away. Like, really far away. See?


Okay. I wasn't actually there, persay. This is from February. But still. I was in the same relative location. Can I say that I hate this photo of myself? The guy who took it has a knack for capturing me from very unflattering angles.

Anyway. There is a point to this post. Mainly its just to decompress my mind from all the crazy thoughts that get stuck in there while I'm in India, and I never remember to bring my journal, not that I have time to write in it anyway. I have many things to say about India, many of which are not very nice. For more details, you can ask me in person. But what I have to say now is different.

I find India to be fascinating from a cultural perspective. It's very old, very distinct in terms of cultural norms and tradition and art and all. But I also find it to be very sad. Sad because there are too many people, and its just not possible that everyone will get a piece of the pie in terms of economic prosperity, living space, fame and success. Sad because I have never seen a generation of people so openly engrossed in personal success and wealth as the generation of Indians who are now entering the workforce (and that includes Americans). Sad because I work with kids with cancer, and seeing a kid with cancer is ten times worse when the kid is starving and dying because they can't afford their chemo drugs. And, primarily, sad because this is more than a billion people being born, living, and dying in darkness. They will never hear that there is hope, that the God of the universe loves them passionately, that the Son of God came to earth to rescue their hearts. They will never have the opportunity to fall in love with Jesus.

I don't want to let that lie. I don't accept it. I want my life to count for something. I hope that in the end, it does. Not for me, but for God and for these children of his. Pray for them. Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment