I've never considered myself to be super athletic. I played YMCA soccer when I was in first grade, and I was the kid who won awards like "Best Effort" because I just wasn't that good. Same story with basketball (I think I scored one basket in two years of play) and softball. Hand-eye coordination? Not so much. In fourth grade, I did ice skating, which I was decent at, although I was certainly never going to be an Olympian. I rode horses for a while, but that was expensive and inconvenient. I ran cross country in a seriously misguided decision in the 7th grade, and I was truly awful. So by the time I got to high school, I was pretty much over athletics in the classic sense. I just chalked it up to being "not a sports person".
I don't really know when the shift happened. I worked out hardly at all my freshman year of college, although admittedly a daily 40 minute walk across campus could be considered a workout. I think I tried to go running once. When I transferred to OU in my sophomore year, I had easier access to a workout facility, and I started going every now and then. But it wasn't a priority. And then I moved to Italy.
This is a weird and unconventional way to get into exercise, since the Italians look down on wearing "pantalones du jogging" in public. I have never met a more frustrating people group. I never saw them working out, or a single gym, but they're all so skinny. And all they eat is carbs. How do they do it??? The world will never know... but I digress. The point is, I don't know if it was the influence of my lovely roommates, who convinced me to become a vegetarian and downloaded hilarious workout videos from itunes and used water bottles as weights, or just that I wanted to get out and see the city, or if after two months of carbs and rain I felt a little like a blob. It may have had something to do with the impending arrival of my new boyfriend to Florence and my pressing need to look good after 4 months of long distance Skyping. But I started to run. At first I could only run a little way before getting breathless. This was my problem in cross country back in the day - although the fact that it wasn't 108 degrees outside helped. But after a while, I figured out how to breathe correctly and discovered that I have a gift for making myself do things that don't necessarily feel good. And I learned how to ignore the creepy men staring at me as I jogged down the street.
Somewhere in there, running out of obligation turned into running for enjoyment. I thought maybe I would stop, but when I moved home, I kept going (even though it was summer and despicably hot). When I moved back to Norman for my senior year, I kept going. I bought a pair of Nike+ shoes so I could track my distance. I remember the first time I ran eight miles. It was like something snapped inside me and I was free to run as far and as fast as I wanted to. That's called a "runner's high", if you were curious. I've never been actually high, but I think the term is probably accurate. And then I just couldn't stop. I get cranky if I go more than a few days without running. I've run in thunderstorms, I've run in blazing heat, I get up at 5 am at least twice a week to run before work. Last December, I ran the White Rock Half Marathon in pouring rain while
it was 40 degrees outside. It was the best experience of my life. I run in India when I'm there for work, and all the hotel people look at me like I'm insane, but I just need to do it. Somewhere along the way, I changed from "nonathlete" to "runner" - that's worth every mile I've pounded the pavement, every early morning, every bit of pain and agony to me. I earned that title, and I'm proud of it.
Last weekend, I ran the Hills and Heels half marathon in Irving, TX, in heat and humidity and a week after I got my wisdom teeth removed. It was hard, and my legs ached, and I wanted to quit at mile 11. But I didn't. Because the feeling of crossing that finish line is so, so good. I look like crap - I happen to turn really red when I get hot - and I smell like crap, and I want to fall over and die, but I know that in every cheesy finisher photo I take I have the biggest dang smile on my face because this is a moment of deep satisfaction and joy for me. Sometimes people ask me how to stop hating running, and I don't really know. I remember that I used to hate running, and I know now that I love running, and I think maybe it's just because I forced myself to do it until I didn't need to force myself anymore. Somewhere in there, it became a source of joy and a release from the stress of my life, where I can stop worrying and just go. I wish more of life was that simple, but I'm grateful for the minutes I spend sweating, aching, killing myself to get faster and stronger. And when life gets hard, I know that I can suck it up and tell myself, "You can do this. Just one more mile. And then you can lie down." I know you think I'm insane, but running is my sanity. It keeps me going.
I don't really know when the shift happened. I worked out hardly at all my freshman year of college, although admittedly a daily 40 minute walk across campus could be considered a workout. I think I tried to go running once. When I transferred to OU in my sophomore year, I had easier access to a workout facility, and I started going every now and then. But it wasn't a priority. And then I moved to Italy.
This is a weird and unconventional way to get into exercise, since the Italians look down on wearing "pantalones du jogging" in public. I have never met a more frustrating people group. I never saw them working out, or a single gym, but they're all so skinny. And all they eat is carbs. How do they do it??? The world will never know... but I digress. The point is, I don't know if it was the influence of my lovely roommates, who convinced me to become a vegetarian and downloaded hilarious workout videos from itunes and used water bottles as weights, or just that I wanted to get out and see the city, or if after two months of carbs and rain I felt a little like a blob. It may have had something to do with the impending arrival of my new boyfriend to Florence and my pressing need to look good after 4 months of long distance Skyping. But I started to run. At first I could only run a little way before getting breathless. This was my problem in cross country back in the day - although the fact that it wasn't 108 degrees outside helped. But after a while, I figured out how to breathe correctly and discovered that I have a gift for making myself do things that don't necessarily feel good. And I learned how to ignore the creepy men staring at me as I jogged down the street.
![]() | ||
| After finishing my first half marathon in the rain. |
Last weekend, I ran the Hills and Heels half marathon in Irving, TX, in heat and humidity and a week after I got my wisdom teeth removed. It was hard, and my legs ached, and I wanted to quit at mile 11. But I didn't. Because the feeling of crossing that finish line is so, so good. I look like crap - I happen to turn really red when I get hot - and I smell like crap, and I want to fall over and die, but I know that in every cheesy finisher photo I take I have the biggest dang smile on my face because this is a moment of deep satisfaction and joy for me. Sometimes people ask me how to stop hating running, and I don't really know. I remember that I used to hate running, and I know now that I love running, and I think maybe it's just because I forced myself to do it until I didn't need to force myself anymore. Somewhere in there, it became a source of joy and a release from the stress of my life, where I can stop worrying and just go. I wish more of life was that simple, but I'm grateful for the minutes I spend sweating, aching, killing myself to get faster and stronger. And when life gets hard, I know that I can suck it up and tell myself, "You can do this. Just one more mile. And then you can lie down." I know you think I'm insane, but running is my sanity. It keeps me going.
.jpg)
Just reading this now but love it and proud of you for finishing your first half marathon!! I miss water bottle work-outs...
ReplyDelete