Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Weariness and Resting

Well, I actually wanted my first "real post" to be something lighthearted, maybe with some pictures of food. But I don't have any pictures again, and I haven't baked anything lately in the interest of saving money, so you all get my 7 am philosophical musings instead. If I don't start posting soon, I'm sure I'll never get around to it.

I want to talk about how we (read: I) react to weariness. Since its 7:25 am, you can probably guess that this is coming from me feeling weary at the moment, despite the coffee I've been pouring down my throat since I got up at 5 am. But it's not just about the earliness of the hour. It's about being run down and burnt out by the happenings of my daily life. Work has been exceptionally crazy lately, and my boss seems to have mistaken me for a bio-statistician. Not that there is anything wrong with that type of work, but having very little training in that field, and not being a "math-brained" person, has led me to a place of great frustration recently. In addition, there are the other dramas of life that we all have at any given moment, created by money, family, friendships, relationships, etc. All of that combines to make me pretty exhausted at the end of the day.

I think a lot of times we get caught up in the daily panic of our lives, focused on what needs to be done now so that I can survive until tomorrow. Suddenly, the project we are working on becomes the most important thing in the world, and if we don't meet our deadline the universe will probably implode. But the thing is, that project most likely does not have a lot of eternal consequences. I typically let the things that might be more important, like spending quiet time with God, pouring into my family and friends, and/or living missionally in the workplace, take a backseat to that deadline, that meeting, those errands. And in no way does that allow me - or any of us who respond this way - to be refined into what God desires us to be.

Fortunately, there is a solution! Mt. 11:28 says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." That is such a generous gift on the part of God. Not only does he promise numerous times in his word to be constantly with us and for us, but he actually promises to help us unload our burdens and be renewed. We are not responsible for bearing the load of our days all by ourselves. And simply taking time out to do the things that stir my heart's affections for God - whether that looks like sitting on my porch with a cup of coffee, going on a long run, or spending time with a friend - helps renew my spirit. So even though I'm still tired, and it's still really early, and I still have a long day in front of me, I know that there is an unending well of strength from which I can draw, and that the Lord has promised to sustain me through this day. That's what gives me the hope to carry on and remember that life on earth is not about life on earth.

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment